How to Handle the Writing Anxiety
Anxiety is the fear of unknown. It is a very natural physiological response of the body, when we are to face challenges, especially the challenges that we have never endured.
Anxiety is not altogether a hampering agent or an enemy; in reality it is a friendly reaction of the body that keeps us on the toe and drives the person to work for the success. A student who has low anxiety on the anxiety scale is most of the time not enough motivated to work hard and produce better results.
To a student, the writing anxieties are a common problem. Faced by almost all of us due to many and different reasons depending on the situation and the person. However, most of the time the notion of being critically judged, trigger the anxiety, although the student has been writing almost all of his life but still the phenomenon occurs as soon as he is assigned a paper to write. The anxiety also sets in when the student is overcautious of producing the finest paper, especially when a student has been known to produce the most excellent ones in the past.
The target meeting or time management anxiety is also common in undergraduate students and at the graduate level when the students have the leverage of working according to their timetables; most of them feel lost and do not know how to manage the time.
Moreover, the concerns start building up when the students are handed over the topics, which are not of their choice and distasteful to them. The problem of overcoming anxiety deepens further if the student is new to the topic. Some students could not write when their paper or thesis is hijacked by their advisors, to them following the ideas of the professor is like presenting his view rather than theirs.
There is a perfect chance that students might not think that they can do the paper they have been assigned. They would fear of failure and doubt their capabilities and potential. This condition is more damaging than any another condition and needs professional help available at the school. The teachers might be more than a help to reduce such anxieties in the students.
It is very natural to feel anxiety, as the job gets tougher; same is the case with the students. They might feel anxiety overwhelming if the paper is difficult or important.
Though a moderate anxiety is a friendly feature of our psychological makeup but if it is left unattended, it might paralyze or hamper the performance of the writer. There are few simple ways that can help reduce the apprehensions and worries about the writing a paper.
- Try to write or deal with the paper at your earliest. The delay in coping would increase the apprehensions.
- You can always use light physical exercises, deep breaths, a walk or a hearty talk with friends to rid of anxiety.
- If you are not provided with the deadlines, set yourselves some. The deadline will give you a target, around which you can plan the implementation of your assignment
- Set yourself achievable goals and schedules. The goal setting is a good way of relieving the anxiety as you meet them one by one, you would feel more in control of the situation. You will feel confident because of the achievable nature of the goals.
- Study the topic before you start writing. The prior research will alleviate the tension since you will be getting acquainted with the subject and would feel like already getting the hold of it. This will also set you in for outlining of the paper.
- Consult your advisor or teacher before you start writing and discuss if there are specific formats of writing you are required to follow. Advisors may also give you an outlook of how to manage the paper.
- Share the draft write up with your teacher at every step.
- Study the previously done writing papers and researches available on the chosen topic. They will give you insight and new ideas you haven’t had before.
- Brainstorm the topic and write free, jot down whatever is coming into your mind. Think outside the box and free from any format or design. You will feel overcoming the writer’s block already.
- Divide you time according to the complexity and importance of the chapters. So each chapter is written in its due and required time and paper is managed properly.
- Not only should the chapters be given their due time but you should look out for the time you have allotted to the paper amongst your social life. Too much time or too less of it than it requires will give rise to nervousness.
- Do not think that the way you have handled your paper is not good enough or not up to the standard of your teacher. Your way might be the new way that the teacher has never read. And remember the teachers are not always the experts on the subject, so you might give a new perspective to the topic.
- Outline the ideas as soon as you are ready to write and follow it up throughout. The outlining of the paper makes it more manageable. You wouldn’t feel if you are writing a lengthy paper at all.
- Try not to edit the paper while writing it. Editing or redoing might confuse you more and will result in losing the grip on the task, waste time and fatigue you mentally.
- Specify some time for the revision of the paper. Read and re-read the article for more improvements.
- If still not confident, you can ask your friend to analyze the paper critically. It is better that the paper must be read aloud.
- Submit paper before the due date to avoid last minute hassle.
- You don’t have to stress yourself too much, but it suggested treating if you have achieved a target like eating ice creams with friends, watching your favorite program, etc.
The key is always to have a positive approach to every task you are challenged with, not only the writing. Positivism in life can take you through any anxiety or any fee.