The daunting part in research paper writing is in finding the actual research material and sources. The available amount of sources makes a person overwhelmed, so taking specific instructions regarding the availability of information are mandatory. Acquiring the best information should be ensured in the most efficient way.
• The foremost things required to find sources for your research paper are a library and internet access.
• You should keep it simple so that your research does not go out of control.
• The first step to find sources for your research paper is the library. University libraries have great resources, especially the research based campuses. Initiate your research in the journals and books relating to your topic. It is must to look for scholarly journals so that your professor or teacher understands that you have put good effort and time in your search. Using recent works that is relating to recent 5 years than referring to something relating to past 20 years. Make it a point to find at least 5 or 6 written sources for an assignment of 5 page research paper.
• Take detailed notes and write down ideas and specific quotes to be used. Ensure you get all the information required for your research paper. This is essential so that you need not go back or refer the source again. On writing down the required information, write the work citation as well. Noting down each will save time by the time you are completing the research notes as all the citations are ready.
• On finding written sources, research online databases for scholarly journals electronic copies. Databases contain lots of information relevant to your topic and these databases are available through your university or local library as they are subscribed services. These are the best sources for your research paper. Though, initially it may take some time, you will find relevant sources in abundance.
• For additional sources, dig the databases and the links mentioned. You are sure to find abstracts of articles and full text articles. The information available in these is identical to the databases information.
• The final place that is appropriate to acquire sources for your research paper refers to the general search sites in Google or Yahoo. There will be sites that are apposite to form your source list. You can also include the available statistics and articles to augment your paper. However, ensure that the websites you are referring have credibility, so check for websites ending with.edu or .gov, so that they are accurate than .com or.net ending websites. You can also verify the information before including it in your research paper.
• Avoid rushing over the research topics. The more time spent on searching the sources, the better will be your conducted research.
• Avoid sites that lack scholarly credibility such as personal websites, Wikipedia or even sites that sell or advertise something.
• Ensure to cite each source properly as improperly cited sources lead to plagiarism.